Release notes for API 20130224

Release notes for API 20130224

Postby rkulagow » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 am

Metadata is now going to be decoupled from the program object. Previously, we would download the data from Tribune, process it, correlate Season / Episode information and then generate the program objects. If TheTVDB was having a bad day, then this would slow down the process. When tvdb was basically hard down for days at a time a few weeks ago, data refreshes wouldn't happen, and that's not good.

For API 20130224, the program object will no longer contain metadata. If your client wants metadata, then execute the "get" "metadata" call as described on the wiki. The file will contain all of the metadata that we know about at the time of the pull, for programs that are in the schedule for the next two weeks. The client should read the file and extract the relevant information.

epguide.com is currently being setup as an alternate metadata source. Your client should be configured to parse the metadata object for multiple entries in the "data" array. Metadata from tvdb will include the seriesID and episodeID. If there are particular fields from epguide.com that are relevant then please let me know so that they can be incorporated.

The messages object in the status will now be populated, and clients can delete the messages using the API so that we don't keep sending it to you. See the wiki regarding the "delete" "message" function. Please let me know if you'd like me to generate some demo messages for your account so that you can program for this functionality.

Message ACK works using my test perl client, and I will finish testing the headend alternatives today, unless someone beats me to it.

Once the code has been confirmed as operational, I will move it to production, and update the minimum API.

Update:
System notification messages can be ACKed as well, using the same method. Once a message has been ACKed, it won't be sent again.

Update:
Retrieving headends will always require a randhash. If the client wishes to see all available headends, it must pass the postal code in the request. A null request will return only the subscribed headends for the account.
rkulagow
SD Staff

Return to Developer