DD Schema Wish List

Discussion about Schedules Direct grabber code and data formats.

DD Schema Wish List

Postby LeeThompson » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Since I suppose we're now commercial customers of TMS data, I'd really like them to add a few more optional attributes to the schema. In addition to stereo, closed captioning etc flags I'd like to see a flag for letterboxed programming. While thinking about it, I'd like to see some more stuff too.

These would go under <xsd:complexType> under <xsd:element name="schedule"> as optional elements.

1. "letterboxed". Indicates if a program is being broadcast in letterboxed widescreen.

2. "anamorphic". Indicates if the program is being broadcast in 16x9 anamorphic widescreen.

3. "seriesPremiere". Indicates that this is a premiere of a new series. (I suppose you could also detect this with new=true and episodeNumber 1).

4. "seasonPremiere". Indicates that this is a premiere episode of a new season.

5. "seasonFinale". Indicates that this is the last episode in a season.

6. "seriesFinale". Indicates that this is the last episode in a series.
LeeThompson

Re: DD Schema Wish List

Postby brianstretch » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:24 am

I'd very much like enough info added to the lineup schema so that MythTV gets enough info to tune digital cable channels without having to manually scan channels and match up the info to schedulesdirect channels. Right now there's no way to make the setup process for digital cable users newbie-friendly.
brianstretch

Postby GreyFoxx » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:39 am

brianstretch wrote:I'd very much like enough info added to the lineup schema so that MythTV gets enough info to tune digital cable channels without having to manually scan channels and match up the info to schedulesdirect channels. Right now there's no way to make the setup process for digital cable users newbie-friendly.

TMS doesn't have that information, plus cable co's can move channels around anytime they please and they don't inform anyone. We've discussed however coming up with something, be it a MythTV project or something hosted by SD where users could submit their QAM/ATSC scan and channel info and others can retrieve it. Still in the discussion phase though
GreyFoxx

Postby LeeThompson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:31 pm

GreyFoxx wrote:
brianstretch wrote:I'd very much like enough info added to the lineup schema so that MythTV gets enough info to tune digital cable channels without having to manually scan channels and match up the info to schedulesdirect channels. Right now there's no way to make the setup process for digital cable users newbie-friendly.

TMS doesn't have that information, plus cable co's can move channels around anytime they please and they don't inform anyone. We've discussed however coming up with something, be it a MythTV project or something hosted by SD where users could submit their QAM/ATSC scan and channel info and others can retrieve it. Still in the discussion phase though

I think that's a good idea. Some type of lookup service would be fantastic. Could even include the TMS Station ID in the schema as well as the lineup/headend info (and perhaps, with permission, network logos?).
LeeThompson

Postby jnewcastle » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:45 pm

You may want to chat with the great group of people over at silicondust. They are already trying to do this with their hdhomerun and a lineup server that the hdhomerun can report back to when it is idle. Nothing official yet but it sounds like they are working on the backend portion already.
jnewcastle

Postby no2u » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:31 pm

Speaking of a mechanism for a user to submit QAM channels, I would gladly volunteer to enter the QAM-to-Digital-Cable-Channel alias map for Comcast Houston if there was a mechanism provided for me to do so. Just one person willing to upload their QAM map could save a lot of time for others in the area with QAM tuner cards, and make the SchedulesDirect service even more useful than it is now. I'd upload this data (and try to keep it current) even if it's just for my account alone, as it would save me a lot of time configuring QAM channels each time I upgrade to a new version of KnoppMyth.
no2u

Return to Developers Corner