XML Data appears to be invalid

Discussion about Schedules Direct grabber code and data formats.

Re: XML Data appears to be invalid

Postby rmeden » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:46 pm

well, I usually do a read-new and don't read backwards... but you're right combing the posts does give the info I needed (although channel would have been nice)

Your snippet is not original data from TMS. You must be running a converter to remove the new digits from the program-id. TMS is now using those extra digits, so removing them may cause problems in the future..

I pulled all the data for your lineup and see the following:
Code: Select all
<program id='EP000168271807'>
<title>Biography</title>
<subtitle>Beyonce</subtitle>
<description>Singer Beyoncé makes acting success her next goal.</description>
<showType>Series</showType>
<series>EP00016827</series>
<originalAirDate>2004-11-21</originalAirDate>
</program>


It looks like the TMS data *is* valid UTF-8. I suspect your conversion program is mangling it.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Re: XML Data appears to be invalid

Postby cwarren » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:47 am

I did some twiddling last night and get the same output...now. :)

My code only removes the '00' if it exists, the new longer non-'00' entries are processed as-is.

Thanks for looking in to it.
cwarren
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:50 am

Re: XML Data appears to be invalid

Postby sdUser » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Could it be possible that this is a load balancer (clustering) issue?
Where some servers are configured differently.

I made two successive identical calls within minutes of each other.

First Call (Good response UTF-8):
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:20:50 GMT
<lineup ... name='Vidéotron Ltée' ...
Code: Select all
Raw Bytes: 56 69 64 C3A9 6F 74 72 6F 6E
           V  i  d  UTF8 o  t  r  o  n


Second Call: (Bad Response ASCII)
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:22:29 GMT
<lineup ... name='Vidéotron Ltée' ...
Code: Select all
Raw Bytes: 56 69 64 E9 6F 74 72 6F 6E
           V  i  d  é  o  t  r  o  n


notice how in the first call we got correct UTF-8 encoding for é C3A9
whereas in the second call, we got it in ASCII E9 which is invalid UTF-8

I hope this is enough to prove that it is not a client issue.

Thanks in advance
sdUser
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: XML Data appears to be invalid

Postby rmeden » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:50 pm

I don't know about the incident today, but in the past we've been told that some systems had bad data and others did not.

I'm thinking about adding UTF-8 checks to my outage detector.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Re: XML Data appears to be invalid

Postby sdUser » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks Robert,

If it helps, my logs show the first incidence occurring on November 3rd 2007,
and other than the wrong encoding nothing looks (emphasize looks, which could be deceiving) wrong.

Please let us know if you find anything.
sdUser
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Previous

Return to Developers Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests